The article explores the criterion approaches that make it possible to identify municipalities as single towns and compares the categories of single-sector municipalities (single towns) depending on the magnitude of the risks of their socio-economic situation, employment and unemployment in the labour markets of single towns. The work used foreign and Russian studies on problems of state regulation of single towns, analyzed the experience of developed countries. Methodological tools of research: methods of analysis of statistical sources, logical justification, forecasting. According to the study, the largest concentration of single towns over a three-year period corresponds to two groups: monoprophilic municipal entities of the Russian Federation (monocities), with observed risks of deterioration of socio-economic situation and monoprophilic municipal entities of the Russian Federation (monocities) with crisis socioeconomic situation. The article presents conceptual approaches to regulation of social and economic development of single towns of the Russian Federation, which allowed to highlight three main approaches to development of single towns in the Russian Federation (inertial, scenario of rehabilitation of the cityforming enterprise and scenario of its closure). As a result of the presented forecast information — all categories of single towns show a decreasing trend in the number of employed population. However, most of all, this trend affected the category of cities with stable socio-economic situation, which indicates not only the deterioration of the situation in these territorial entities, but also the general negative trend of development at the level of the national economy. Practical results of the study can be used in developing assumptions to regional authorities to reduce unsustainable employment in single towns
monocities, state regulation, regional development, foreign experience, unemployment, jobs
1. Carlson L. Company Towns of the Pacific Northwest. University of Washington Press, 2003.
2. Garner J.S. The company town: Architecture and society in the early industrial age. N.Y.: Oxford University Press, Inc., 1992.
3. Mullin John R., Armstrong Jeanne H., Kavanagh Jean S. From Mill Town to Mill Town: The Transition of a New England Town from a Textile to a High-Technology Economy. Journal of the American Planning Association. 1986. № 8. URL: https://scholarworks.umass.edu/larp faculty pubs/8
4. Kamaishi City 2007. «Kamaishi-shi tokeisho 2007 nen-do» (Statistics of Kamaishi City 2007). Kamaishi: Iwate, 2007.
5. Postanovlenie Pravitel'stva Rossijskoj Federacii ot 14 fevralya 2000 g. № 21 «O Federal'noj programme gosudarstvennoj podderzhki malogo predprinimatel'stva v Rossijskoj Federacii na 2000–2001 gg.» [Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation dated February 14, 2000 No. 21 “On the Federal Program for State Support of Small Business in the Russian Federation for 2000-2001.”]. Sobranie zakonodatel'stva Rossijskoj Federacii. 21.02.2000. № 8. St. 959 [Collection of legislation of the Russian Federation. 02/21/2000. No. 8. Art. 959].
6. Postanovlenie Pravitel'stva RF ot 29.07.2014 N 709 «O kriteriyah otneseniya municipal'nyh obrazovanij Rossijskoj Federacii k monoprofil'nym (monogorodam) i kategoriyah monoprofil'nyh municipal'nyh obrazovanij Rossijskoj Federacii (monogorodov) v zavisimosti ot riskov uhudsheniya ih social'no-ekonomicheskogo polozheniya» [Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation of July 29, 2014 N 709 “On the criteria for classifying municipalities of the Russian Federation as single-industry (single-industry towns) and categories of single-industry municipalities of the Russian Federation (single-industry towns) depending on the risks of worsening their socio-economic situation”]. Available at http://www.consultant.ru/cons/cgi/online.cgi?req=doc&base=LAW&n=166538&fld=134&dst=1000000001,0&rnd=0.09428694638687851#01284709955588892
7. Sajt Rosstata [Rosstat website]. Available at gks.ru/storage/mediabank/monogor(1).xlsx
8. Razvitie monogorodov Rossii [The development of single-industry towns in Russia]. Moscow: Finansovyj universitet Publ., 2013. 168 p.
9. Biznes v monogorodah poluchit besprocentnye kredity [Business in single-industry towns will receive interest-free loans]. Available at https://rg.ru/2019/03/15/predprinimateli-v-monogorodah-smogut-poluchat-besprocentnye-kredity.html
10. Maslova A.N. Monogoroda v Rossii: problemy i resheniya [Single-industry towns in Russia: problems and solutions]. Kontury global'nyh transformacij: politika, ekonomika, pravo [Outlines of global transformations: politics, economics, law]. 2011, I. 5, pp. 16–28.
11. Aksyanova A.V., Chekhlomin S.V. Metody ocenki ekonomicheskoj privlekatel'nosti monogorodov dlya naseleniya [Methods for assessing the economic attractiveness of single-industry towns for the population]. Vestnik KemGU. Seriya: Politicheskie, sociologicheskie i ekonomicheskie nauki [Bulletin of KemSU. Series: Political, Sociological, and Economic Sciences]. 2018. № 2. DOI 10.21603/2500-3372-2018-2-52-58
12. Sovremennye tendencii social'no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya regionov [Current trends in the socio-economic development of regions]. Kolomna: GSGU Publ., 2017, p. 209.
13. Nikolaeva E.E. Monogoroda: social'no-ekonomicheskie problemy i perspektivy (na primere Ivanovskoj oblasti) [Monotowns: socio-economic problems and prospects (for example, Ivanovo region)]. Vestnik KemGU. Seriya: Politicheskie, sociologicheskie i ekonomicheskie nauki [Bulletin of KemSU. Series: Political, Sociological, and Economic Sciences]. 2018, I. 1. DOI: 10.21603/2500-3372-2018-1-137-142.
14. Chelpanova D.D., Grevcova T.E. Aktual'nye problemy monogoroda Gukovo Rostovskoj oblasti: mneniya zhitelej [Actual problems of the single-industry town of Gukovo, Rostov Region: opinions of residents]. Vestnik KemGU. Seriya: Politicheskie, sociologicheskie i ekonomicheskie nauki [Bulletin of KemSU. Series: Political, Sociological, and Economic Sciences]. 2018, I. 2. DOI:10.21603/2500-3372-2018-2-40-44.
15. Garifullina N.Yu. Social'no-ekonomicheskoe razvitie monogorodov kak potencial razvitiya ekonomiki regiona [Socio-economic development of single-industry towns as a potential development of the regional economy]. Spros i predlozhenie na rynke truda i rynke obrazovatel'nyh uslug v regionah Rossii: Sb. dokladov po materialam Odinnadcatoj Vserossijskoj nauchno-prakticheskoj Internet-konferencii (29–30 oktyabrya 2014 g.) [Demand and supply in the labor market and the market of educational services in the regions of Russia: Sat. reports based on the materials of the Eleventh All-Russian Scientific and Practical Internet Conference (October 29–30, 2014)]. Petrozavodsk: PetrGU Publ., 2014, pp. 42¬¬56.
16. Infrastructure Financing Options for Russia Background paper on Financing of Municipal and Communal Services. World Bank, 2018.
17. Bykova O.N., Zamirovich E.N. Innovacionnye aspekty strategii social'no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya na mezourovne [Innovative aspects of the strategy of socio-economic development at the mesoscale]. Rossijskij gosudarstvennyj institut intellektual'noj sobstvennosti [Russian State Institute of Intellectual Property]. Moscow, 2008, p. 302.
18. Strategic aspects of innovative development of entrepreneurial entities in modern conditions Repnikova V.M., Bykova O.N., Skryabin O.O., Morkovkin D.E., Novak L.V. International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology. 2019.Vol. 8. No. 4. P. 32-35.